- Trustees, in the capacity of trust upon them, shall observe ethical standards with absolute truth, integrity, and honor.
- Trustees must avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained at the expense of library users, colleagues or the institution.
- It is incumbent on any trustee to disqualify himself or herself immediately whenever the appearance of a conflict of interest exists.
- Trustees must distinguish clearly in their actions and statements between their personal philosophy and attitudes and those of the institution, acknowledging the formal position of the board even if they personally disagree.
- A trustee must respect the confidential nature of library business while being aware of and in compliance with applicable laws governing freedom of information.
- Trustees must be prepared to support to the fullest the efforts of librarians in resisting censorship of library materials by groups or individuals.
- Trustees who accept library board responsibilities are expected to perform all of the functions of library trustees.
Adopted by the Board of Directors of the American Library Trustee Association, July, 1985.
Adopted by the Board of Directors of the Public Library Association, July, 1985.
Amended by the Board of Directors of the American Library Trustee Association, July, 1988.
Approval of the amendment by the Board of Directors of the Public Library Association, January, 1989.